Thursday, March 4, 2010

Finishing Tip #1: No-Clean Paint "Tray"

Not unusually doing a job right requires more time.   Such is the case with paint finishes where rolling inevitably produces a superior surface texture to brushing, but yet for small jobs setting up and cleaning a roller tray seems daunting.  Instead, just spread out a section of waxed paper, dip the roller slightly into the paint can, and roll out the paint on the waxed paper, adding more as needed.  There you go, a uniformly coated roller ready to use, no tray to clean up and, if you use a foam roller, a tool easier to clean than a brush.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Or do what I do and line a tray with aluminium foil or cling film. Dispose when finished
As far as paint rollers go, If I'm using oil based paints then I simply throw the used one away. It is a waste I know but where I'm located It is not economical for me to use solvents to clean the roller.

Kurt J. Meyers said...

An excellent idea, though the key word in this post was "small." Any more than a few roll-outs would benefit from your suggestion.