Saturday, August 30, 2014

"Quilted-Wood" Headboard

Dinner conversation with friends last night turned to the matter that typically purpose precedes design. Such was the case with my “quilted-wood” headboad where the purpose was somehow to mimic the feel and pattern of the quilt in the wood. To match the beige background material I chose hard maple. To mimic the dark border of the quilt I chose cherry. I then measured the size of the four-block cloth pattern and duplicated it with wooden blocks of the exact same dimensions. A template was made and the four-block pattern was routed, not easily, out of the hard maple field into which the wooden blocks were embedded. I thought briefly about a more dramatic, high contrast set of woods, say ebony, zebrawood, bubinga, purpleheart, but aside from my aversion to tropical hardwoods, I sought more muted and subtle variations in order to echo the feel of the quilt. Thus I chose North American woods, both soft and hard: Douglas fir, redwood, hemlock, cherry, black walnut and oak. The basic form of suspending the headboard on dowels (maple) from the posts I have used before, one of its advantages being that the headboard is easily removed from the posts with 8 screws making it possible to transport the piece in even a small coupe. These two will likely stay companions for a very long time.

Singular wooden ware + hand carved teaspoons at: FlyingCircusStudios.Etsy.com

No comments: