Thursday, February 24, 2011

Lean Thinking Tip #7: The 100-Drawer Hutch

During the 1960's my father worked as a quality assurance rep for the federal government, which meant he was stationed at various plants.   A total brain (a.k.a. nerd) at the time I had little interest in his work stories, but this one stuck in my mind permanently, especially whenever I make drawers:  seems one of the fellows in the crating department at AT&T in Clifton, N.J. bet his coworkers that he could build a 100-drawer hutch in a day.  Remember, before the days of foam and wrap, products were often shipped in wooden crates.  A crating department was a full-blown, completely equipped woodworking shop.  The day was long, the effort Herculean, but a day it was, and the bet was won, so the story goes.

For the self-employed, extracting good value from a day's work is a tricky business, more psychological than logistical.  Often my only boss is a list of production goals.  Monday I gave myself a huge, unrealistic list, but surprised myself as the check marks gathered.  So come 3:00 PM a spot of tea as a little reward, maybe a snack to go with, check the emails perhaps, retrieve the snail mail...a half hour gone with a sizable task remaining, as even retrofit, built-in drawer boxes deserve a nice smooth roundover on their upper rims.  Determined not to undermine this fine day I accomplished the roundover operation at more than double my usual rate...ah, echoes of the 100 drawer hutch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whoa, Kurt, you are hired! I find that because of the way I was raised and what was expected of me, I work at about twice the pace of most. I think I can, I think I can!